Friday, November 04, 2005

Who stole my voice?

I haven't done a lick of knitting today. I might cast on for that last Christmas scarf tonight if I find the motivation. This cold is just running me down. I've got that icky-sore nose thing going on from wiping it 234,702,695 times today. Then by the time hubby came home from work my voice was nearly gone! Ack!

I spent my afternoon working on some dorky homemade postcards. I'm part of a postcard exchange at the Anne McCaffrey fan forum and decided to make my own cards this month. If I see another pressed leaf or glue-gooey paintbrush or more decoupage again this year I might scream. But they did turn out kind of nice. Here's a batch I mailed out last week.


I guess I can take this opportunity to share my first foray into recycling yarn courtesy of a big yard sale that went on near here a few weeks ago. I have to watch what I spend on yarn and really loved the idea of recycling sweaters. But the thrift store here kind of sucks. I miss Savers and Goodwill!! I did find one sweater that was $1 and bought it more for the experience than for the yarn. It's a brownish acrylic chenille yarn.


After lots and lots of problems with the neck and shoulder seams I realized that the top of the sweater down to the armpits had serged seams. Arrrghh! Once I figured that out and slashed away the top, things went beautifully! The whole living room got covered in brown fuzzies and I ended up with a whole lot of yarn. (This photo was taken when I was half done. A whole gallon-sized bag full already!) I was so proud. And actually, this yarn seems perfect for knitting up a teddy bear (for which I'm still searching for the perfect pattern. Yes, I'm picky about teddy bears.) I saved the bits of black for detailing on the future teddy.



Now that our thrift store has started stocking winter clothes I'm keeping my eyes open for any good finds. Unfortunately their prices are higher than the good-old chain thrift shops but you never know!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home